.... the blues makes my heart sing...

if there's one type of music that makes me happy, it's the blues.. no matter how sad and down and out the lyrics can be, there is something so soulful and wonderfully touching about the blues.. it lifts me up...

musicians inspire me, all kinds.. storytellers, ballads.. bluesmen and women...

i wonder at times why i never took up an instrument in high school, always playing around with writing lyrics instead, and trying the guitar, and piano by myself.. too busy trying to take classes to get me into college and "be something".. lol.. always doodled, drawing, and sewing and stitching.. oh well..an artist inside is true..

i will never forget how taking a drawing class lifted me into another orbit while working on my english degree, and music too, has lifted me to a different level in my creative process.

I began drawing musicians specifically on the streets of San Francisco, listening to the street artists.  I was always too chicken to draw in a club, and even now, it is one of the most challenging venues.  Mainly because i want to enjoy the music and move.  The other is lighting and movement of the musicians.  I end up sketching several pieces at a time, flipping back and forth from the different perspectives as the musician jams.

I take photographs too, but catching a particular vibe usually happens in the "LIVE" moment.  Taking sketches back to the studio to try and paint them while listening to their music is always a pleasure, bringing me back to the sound they inspired me with.

So many wonderful talents.. I have found abundance on myspace, reverbnation, facebook, dailymotion... the internet world is a great pot of creativity.. at times i feel i'm sucked in the big black hole of it all, but overall, it's an eye opening, a heart opening, a diversity you really can't get anywhere.. and i feel i'm a world traveler.. so i go...

Seeing these artists in a venue LIVE is most rewarding, and provides a layer of heart that you can't always get online, but the work is beautiful and needs to be expressed, and when I hear something particularly moving, I want to paint and draw and share...






http://youtu.be/TB1Kd2TluNk





Comments

Popular Posts