Thank you for Protecting my right for Freedom of Speech

Today on my way home from obtaining my temporary sales permit for my Open Studio coming up the first 2 weeks of June, I listened to KPFA, alternative/progressive radio out of Berkeley, CA.

Being they are in a fund drive, I heard snippets of Jeremy Scahill, investigative journalist at the Nation, and before that a correspondent for the US radio and TV program "Democracy Now!"... author of Blackwater: The Rise of the World's Most Powerful Mercenary Army.

I have long been appalled at the use of drones in the Military, back in the Bush days, and Jeremy, at a Drone conference/summit,  was speaking out about the continued secrecy and movement in that direction during the Obama administration.  His speech at this summit is on youtube, 4 parts.  The pieces I heard were striking, and chilling.  You can hear the snippets at the link I provided at Jeremy's name above or find his vids here: Part 1 of the Drone Summit held in Washington DC

http://youtu.be/aH2VE709WPk





The collateral deaths that occur are what's most concerning, and also the training of our youth to be immune and numb to killing in assassination type fashion.

I have always thought of myself as a Left Democrat.  I mean always, even before I knew what politics was even about, I always heard my father and mother speak of labor issues and domestic policy in the way it made sense to me, I've never questioned too deeply that was the party I affiliated with.  I still vote Democratic.  But over the past 4 years and specifically in the past year and a half, I've had my eyes open to politics in many other ways and now I don't feel I call myself a democrat.

I tend to identify with Progressive in my thinking and now feel almost obligated to speak out for those issues that I find oppressive even if it's the Dem party presenting them.

http://youtu.be/elMjk3uXXjE






As Jeremy states, "I'm a journalist", I say, I'm an artist, a person with a voice.  I do believe all of us should take a deep look at what we truly feel about issues and begin to take steps to bring our values and ethics to our individual areas of deep interest and beliefs. 

As I listened to the excerpt today, Jeremy spoke of "transparency"... I cursed the radio as I drove, that word is so over used today in business, politics and the world... I screamed, if I hear that word "transparency" one more time, I may puke...

Seriously... what is transparency?
In politics and business it's freaking lies... it's a guise that we are being truthful, open and allowing all to see the layers right??
That is so bogus!

Transparency is a light fluid, coat of glaze or wash of color over yet another layer of paint.. wow.. ok.. well.. I just am very tired of the lies this country, world, all the way into business and even workplaces and dynamics within workplaces...

I know this weekend is Memorial Day Weekend, and I have a son in the Marines... probably not great timing for this post.. but Thank you all, those still out there and those gone,  for fighting for our freedom of speech!... Seriously, we need to use our freedom of speech and risk, and stop allowing the fear that we won't have a job or we might not be liked if we speak our truth.  Second strike of drones in Pakistan... wow...

Listen, really take stock, yes.. get livid and angry, start caring for once.. oh, can I say be respectful?? .. I think I need at least 2-3 weeks of vacation away from it all... but it isn't happening.. so into the paint i sink... more time to paint... yes.

Comments

  1. I'm so on the same page with you. I got very involved in the primaries on a local level. It is difficult to get involved, be committed and not lose your happiness. We ALL have to get involved, we can't keep expecting elected officials to have our best interests at heart... a government big enough to give you everything you want is big enough to take it all away from you. It's time to put a stop to it. How? By getting involved on a local level, run for office, or support people you know who are liberty minded. Keep in touch, keep the faith, and for God's sake, don't go back to sleep!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts